December 2020 Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix
Oracabessa Fish SanctuaryLionfish
Lee-Ann Rando, Event Coordinator
Weldon Wade, Event Coordinator
Need Help? Contact Us
December 2020 Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix
Welcome note: Hello anglers! Thank you so much for your interest in this event. Participation is absolutely free even though it appears to be a $5 charge. Use coupon code: JA2020 to complete registration.
The Race is On! Lady G'Diver and Guardians of the Reef presents the December 2020 Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix! The goal of this event is to rid the sea of as many lionfish as we can... and you can get rewarded for it!
- Registration is free and open till December 24th (use coupon code JA2020)
- Over $1000USD in Prizes in 10 categories (no cash prizes)
- Honor based and COVID-19 friendly platform by using app/web
- Must upload your pix
- Sign up as a team or as a solo angler on iAnglertournament
- Cull lionfish anywhere* in Jamaica waters(*inside fish sanctuaries requires a permit)
- Cull all of December!
- Freediving and/or SCUBA allowed
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
Most Lionfish - Team, 1st, 2nd and 3rd
Most Lionfish - Individual, 1st, 2nd and 3rd
Largest Lionfish - must be completely intact and whole for official review
Smallest Lionfish - must be completely intact and whole for official review
Best Team Photo
Best Individual Photo
If you would like to support this event but not participate there are options to sponsor, advertise or be an official supporter.
One Day Remaining
4 months 1 week ago
"Logging Your Catch" Instructional Video
5 months 3 weeks ago
Welcome to iAngler Tournament - Adding Your Photo to the Leaderboard
5 months 3 weeks ago
Events & Schedule
Event Registration Open
11/18/2020 12:00 AM
12/01/2020 12:00 AM
Rules and RegulationsClick to Read
December 2020 Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix Rules
* Note: Please use coupon code: JA2020 to complete registration.
1. All participants need to have a current license from the National Fisheries Authority. Fishing within a fish sanctuary requires special permission from the NFA and the entity that manages it. Any vessel that is being used for fishing must be registered and licensed by the NFA.
2. Lionfish (Pterois volitans/miles) eligible for entry may only be taken during the event. No previously caught lionfish will be allowed.
3. Only legal means of capture will be allowed. This is a lionfish ONLY event. All existing local laws must be followed and will be strictly enforced.
4. You are allowed to keep what you catch. We do not need to see actual lionfish except for special circumstances including by not limited to entry into the largest and smallest categories. Please freeze largest and smallest contenders until validated by a Tournament Director.
5. Lionfish may be taken by spear, hand net or hook and line. No chemicals, traps or other collecting mechanisms are allowed.
6. Individual anglers are allowed. If you enter as a Team, Teams will be limited to a 4 person max, 2 person min. Multiple teams are allowed per boat. To qualify for prizes, participants must be registered.
7. Protective gloves should be worn when handling lionfish. Participants are encouraged to carry a thermos on the boat or in bag left on shore containing hot, but not scalding, water for first aid purposes.
8. The December 2020 Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix runs from December 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020
9. Only one winning entry will be allowed in each category (no sweeping of a category).
10. This Grand Prix event is open to all snorkelers, freedivers and divers using recreational SCUBA equipment and technical diving equipment. The use of commercial or industrial equipment is prohibited.
11. Largest and smallest fish will be determined by total length of the fish, in millimeters, measuring from tip of snout to tip of tail. Completely intact. Please keep all lionfish on ice if you are keeping them whole.
12. All entrants agree to allow Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix officials to take and use all photos submitted for media and promotional purposes.
13. The Grand Prix takes place regardless of weather conditions. Individual divers and Team Captains make their own decision about whether to venture out. Safety first!
14. Organizers will make the best effort to award prizes to Individual Anglers and Teams within seven days of the announcement of the winners.
15. The Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix is an honor system tournament with Individual Anglers and Team Captains being responsible for compliance with the Rules.
16. Anyone found violating Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix Rules by the Lionfish Grand Prix Officials will be disqualified from receiving any prizes and prohibited from entry in any future culling events.
17. Decisions of the Lionfish Grand Prix officials are final.
18. All participants must agree to event Terms and Conditions.
Disclaimer Click to Read
Participation in the Jamaica Lionfish Grand Prix and all Lionfish Grand Prix events is entirely at the participant's own risk, this includes any dealings with subcontractors or suppliers to host howsoever engaged.
All participants need to have a current license from the National Fisheries Authority. Fishing within a fish sanctuary requires special permission from the NFA and the entity that manages it. Any vessel that is being used for fishing must be registered and licensed by the NFA.
The organizer, the promoters, sponsors and any other persons involved in the organization of this event will in no way be held liable or responsible, or enter into any litigation concerning the health and welfare of participants, exhibitors or anyone connected with the event being in any way whatsoever affected by war, civil unrest, political instability, riots, acts of terrorism, natural disasters, and any other events or occurrences which are within or beyond their control.
The same condition will apply to COVID-19, SARS, bird flu, Swine flu or any other disease or infection howsoever contracted, in the past or future, be it within event parameters or participating in and travelling to and from any in-person event associated with the Lionfish Grand Prix.
In this respect the organizer waives all claims of any kind.