2019 California Saltwater Kayak Series
Juan MartinezPacific Barracuda
Bryan EskewVermillion Rockfish
Need Help? Contact Us
Welcome to the 2nd annual California Saltwater Kayak Series! Cal-Salt is a California based, online submission, saltwater kayak fishing tournament that connects anglers in the north to anglers in the south and everywhere in between!
In this second year of the tournament, it spans 9 months from April to December, and again utilizes the iAngler Tournament Management app. Anglers will compete for monthly gift certificates and prizes from our tournament sponsors. At the end of the year, the top 3 anglers, will be awarded prizes and gain automatic entry into the Estero Kayak Challenge the following year to compete for an annual purse of over $3000! (The Estero Kayak Challenge occurs annually on the first Saturday of June and is a benefit tournament for Heroes on the Water)
2019 California Saltwater Kayak Series - 4/1/19 to 12/31/19
Estero Kayak Challenge V - 6/1/19
December ID = 9RB2
8 months 1 week ago
November ID = 8CM2
9 months 1 week ago
October ID = U787
10 months 1 week ago
September ID = K469
11 months 1 week ago
August ID = DJD6
12 months 2 days ago
July ID = 8ER2
1 year 1 month ago
June ID = 8RC6
1 year 2 months ago
May ID = V8M6
1 year 3 months ago
April ID = W8XM
1 year 4 months ago
"Logging Your Catch" Instructional Video
1 year 4 months ago
Welcome to iAngler Tournament - Adding Your Photo to the Leaderboard
1 year 4 months ago
Events & Schedule
Online Challenge - Tournament Open
04/01/2019 12:00 AM
Online Challenge - Tournament Closes
12/31/2019 12:00 AM
Rules and RegulationsClick to Read
Tournament Rules and Regulations
The California Saltwater Kayak Series or Cal-Salt, is open to anyone 18 years of age or older.
ALL participants must wear a PFD at all times during the tournament. Not doing so is grounds for disqualification.
Anglers are encouraged to have a VHF radio in their possession and to have some form of signaling device (whistle, horn, flare, etc.).
Only human powered vessels are allowed.
Kayaks (paddle or pedal powered) and stand up paddle boards (SUP’s) are acceptable.
NO gasoline or electric motor propelled boats, sail boats, or float tubes.
No use of fishing guides are allowed.
The use of a mothership is allowed for specific species only. See the points matrix for a list of “mothership approved” species.
Approved Fishing Techniques:
All fish must be caught by rod and reel only.
Artificial lures and live or dead bait, including bait scents are approved.
All anglers are responsible for having a valid California fishing license in their possession while fishing.
All anglers are responsible to know and follow all CA Department of Fish & Wildlife rules
and regulations including size and daily bag limits, plus equipment rules.
NO pier, shore, hand line, cast or drag net, bow or spear fishing is allowed.
All fish must be caught by the angler. Fishing partners may not help land fish or pool their catch. This is grounds for disqualification. Fishing partners may help with taking pictures.
Although we strongly encourage CPR fishing techniques, this is a CPR (catch, picture, release) optional tournament. The online challenge is being run through the iAngler Tournament management app. During the tournament, the anglers use the mobile app to photograph their catch and record basic information. This can be done while on the water or once back on land. The catch record is immediately transmitted to the web portal for review by the Tournament Director (if there is an active internet connection), if an internet connection (usually cellular) is not available, the catch record is saved for transmission later. All photos must be submitted through the app.
All Scoring is based on length and the "Hawg Trough" bump board or Yak-Gear Fish Stik are the preferred measuring devices. If you would like to use a different measuring board please submit a photo of it to us for inspection and approval. Photos can be emailed to email@example.com.
Photo submission rules and guidelines:
All fish that will fit on the approved measuring device must be photographed in the following manner.
● All fish must be lying on the measuring device with their head facing to the left, lip against the wall of the bump board, and with their dorsal fin pointing up or away from the angler. The mouth does not need to be closed.
● A lipping device may be used to keep the fish secure if you take the photo while on the water. But, it must not obstruct the view of the lip or mouth contacting the wall of the bump board. If the lipping device obstructs this view the photo will be disqualified.
● All inch lines and numbers must be clearly visible and legible in the photo. Make sure the lines and numbers on your board are marked clearly and that they can be seen in your photo.
● The correct tournament identifier must be clearly visible in the photo. See tournament ID guidelines
● You are allowed to submit two photos per fish.
● One photo must show the entire fish on the board. It must clearly show a portion of its mouth touching the bump board and also show where its tail lands on the measuring board. The tournament ID must be visible in this photo.
● The second, optional photo can focus on the tail showing a closeup of the measurement.
● Your photos must also show that the photo was taken from a kayak.
● Any photo or photos not following these guidelines will be disqualified, possibly resulting in the disqualification of the fish.
● We encourage you to take more than one photo of each fish in case some pictures turn out poorly or in case we need further photos to verify validity. If you fail to provide photos that clearly meet the above standards or verify the entire length of your catch or if the photo identifier is not in the picture then your fish will be disqualified.
Bigger than the board - For fish that are bigger than the measuring board you have two options. Please note: all other requirements like the tourney ID and legible measurement markings apply.
1. If you are practicing CPR techniques or if the fish is not going to be consumed take the best on the water photos you can. Try to get a paddle or your entire kayak in the photo so we have some perspective of the fishes size. The judges will then make their best calculation to come up with the fishes length and assign points based on that.
2. If you are keeping your fish anyway for consumption then you can take your photos on shore. Shore based photos should still show your kayak.
Rules Violations and Cheating:
All rules violations will be investigated fully. Anyone found to be violating the rules will be penalized or disqualified depending on the violation. The Cal-Salt tournament judges panel will review such occurrences and all decisions are final.
Any angler caught cheating, such as submitting the same fish more than once or altering their measuring device in some way, will be disqualified from the current season and, at the discretion of the organizers, will be banned from participating in future events.
In the case of a rules violations and cheating, all decisions are final. But, if an angler feels that the judges have scored one of their submissions incorrectly they can request a correction. The angler must contact firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, the date of submission, the region, and the complaint. Once the judges have considered a submission a second time, the judge's ruling is final.
Altering Rules and Information:
We reserve the right to alter or modify the above rules and information in the case of safety concerns or in the instance of cheating, theft, or unlawful activity. In the event of unforeseen conditions including, but not limited to, unsafe weather or surf conditions, necessary rules changes, or a change in format or venue, Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc., reserves the right to act in the best interest of participant safety and fairness. This may result in changing the overall length or format of the tournament and associated events, either temporarily or permanently. Any and all changes will be announced to participants via email as soon as possible.
All entry fees are non-transferable and non-refundable.
Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. reserves the right and all participants grant permission to Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. and their agents to use any and all, photographs and/or videos taken or submitted during any of their hosted events. Including but not limited to the Estero Kayak Challenge, the California Saltwater Kayak Series, and other related events. Such media can be used for promotional purposes in publications, news releases, online ads, social media, and in other communications related to paddle sports and kayak fishing.
Release of Liability/Waivers:
To participate in the tournament you must read and agree to the photo release and release of liability/waiver provided during registration. Upon filling out the registration and entering, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the release of liability and the rules of the tournament.
Disclaimer Click to Read
WAIVER, RELEASE OF LIABILITY, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE
In consideration of being allowed to participate in any Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc event including events held by dba’s PRO Kayak Fishing (PKF) and Central Coast Kayaks (CCK) which includes sport fishing activities or related events and activities, the undersigned agrees to the following:
1. I acknowledge and fully understand that I will be engaging in activities that involve risk of damage to personal property, or serious injury, including permanent disability and death, and severe social and economic losses which might result not only from my own actions, inaction, or negligence, but the actions, inaction, or negligence of others, as a result of kayaking, fishing, wading in the water and swimming, including but not limited to perils of sea and waterways, acts of other participants, adverse sea and weather conditions, and I hereby assume complete responsibility and liability for such risks. Further, there may be other risks not known or not reasonably foreseeable at this time.
2. I do hereby release, waive, discharge and COVENANT NOT TO SUE Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc., its subsidiaries, directors, agents, employees, sponsors or any other individual in any way associated with Momentum Paddle Sports Inc., all of which are hereinafter referred to as the Releasee, from any and all liability to me, my heirs and next of kin for any and all claims, demands, losses or damages on account of injury, including death or damage to property, caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence or any other actions of the Releasees or otherwise.
3. I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others, and assume full responsibility for my participation.
4. I certify that my physical condition and training are adequate to enable me to compete safely in Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. events.
5. I hereby grant full permission to Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. and their subsidiaries and any and all of the sponsors of this event or their representatives to use any photographs, video, or any other records of this event for any purpose whatever.
6. All prizes may be subject to federal and/or state taxes. Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. assumes no responsibility for a winner's’ failure to report awarded prizes to the appropriate taxing authorities.
7. This waiver may not be modified in any way. If any part of this waiver is determined to be invalid by law, all other parts of this waiver shall remain valid and enforceable.
8. I hereby warrant and represent that I am over 18 years of age and have signed this WAIVER, RELEASE Of LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE freely and voluntarily.
9. I hereby warrant and represent that I am the parent or legal guardian for the named participant, and that I have signed this WAIVER, RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE freely and voluntarily in my capacity as their parent or legal guardian on the their behalf.
I HAVE READ THE ABOVE WAIVER, RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE AND UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT, AND SIGNED IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY.