4th Annual Estero Kayak Challenge
Scott KoppRockfish Rolland FeltonLingcod Jesse LandryCabezon Jose RamirezLingcod Eli CamposLingcod Daniel FlemingCabezon Dionicio CotaLingcod Anthony BrackettCabezon Amos WilliamsCabezon Jason MikelLingcod Alan KupstasCabezon Christopher MonsalveRockfish sabel maguireRockfish james kosinskiRockfish Mark HawleyRockfish Jason PottsCabezon john calvertCabezon Brian ValenzuelaCabezon James DavisCabezon Ryan HowellLingcod Dusty McAdonLingcod Joseph CoatsLingcod Robert JoslinRockfish Jared CordinglyRockfish Mark AndersonRockfish WILLIAM HURSTCabezon Jimmy ThornellLingcod Bryan EskewRockfish Keith YowellRockfish Michael JojolaRockfish Weston HennighCabezon Greg HerediaLingcod Russell VillersLingcod Josh StefancichRockfish Alex CasillasLingcod Joshua BrightmanLingcod Austin AielloRockfish Ryan ArguelloCabezon Jodi McGreggorRockfish John ParkerLingcod Nick LanaLingcod Ricardo HoldenRockfish Teddy WolffRockfish Brian MartinezRockfish Ron SandersRockfish Greg AielloLingcod Barton RiggsCabezon Matt AndersonLingcod Jason WoodworthRockfish Zachariah CliftRockfish Mike AriasRockfish
Need Help? Contact Us
The 2018 tournament will be held on Saturday, June 2. The Estero Kayak Challenge is a one day, multi-species, catch and release, tournament targeting Rockfish, Lingcod, and Cabezon. This year’s tournament takes place at Leffingwell Landing in Cambria, CA. This area offers spectacular fishing in one of the most beautiful areas of California’s Central Coast.
The Estero Kayak Challenge is also a qualifying event for the newly created, California Saltwater Kayak Series!
All divisions and awards are based on overall length in inches –
- Division #1 – Single longest Rockfish
- Division #2 – Single longest Cabezon
- Division #3 – Single longest Lingcod
- Division #4 – The Slam: Score your single biggest fish in each of the three categories. The angler must have all three species (1 rockfish, 1 cabezon, and 1 lingcod) to qualify for this division.
The “Guppy” award – This goes to the angler with the smallest fish. **Open to all “in season” species except for sharks, rays, and skates. Be aware of minimum size restrictions on some species if you keep any fish in the category**
The “Outcast” award – This goes to the angler with the biggest, non-slam species of fish. **Rockfish, cabezon, lingcod, sharks, rays, and skates are not allowed to be entered in this category**
"Logging Your Catch" Instructional Video
2 years 5 months ago
Welcome to iAngler Tournament - Adding Your Photo to the Leaderboard
2 years 5 months ago
Events & Schedule
Captain’s Meeting / Check-In
06/01/2018 07:00 PM
06/02/2018 06:00 AM
06/02/2018 02:30 PM
Awards and Raffle
06/02/2018 03:30 PM
Rules and RegulationsClick to Read
The Estero Kayak Challenge is open to anyone 18 years of age or older. Minors may participate with a parent or legal guardian signature on the release form and a parent or legal guardian must accompany the minor on the water during the tournament at all times. Contact tournament staff if you have questions.
ALL competitors must wear a PFD at all times during the tournament. Any angler not wearing a PFD on the water during the tournament will be disqualified.
Anglers are encouraged to have a VHF radio in their possession and must have some form of signaling device (whistle, horn, etc.)
Only human powered vessels are allowed.
Kayaks (paddle or pedal powered) and stand up paddle boards (SUP’s) are acceptable.
NO gasoline or electric motor propelled boats, sail boats, or float tubes.
NO use of a “mothership” or fishing guide is allowed.
Approved Fishing Techniques:
All fish must be caught on rod and reel only.
Artificial lures and live or dead bait, including bait scents are approved for use.
All anglers are responsible for having a valid California fishing license in their possession while fishing.
All anglers are responsible to know and follow all Dept. of Fish & Wildlife rules and regulations including size and daily bag limits.
NO pier, shore, hand line, cast or drag net, bow or spear fishing is allowed.
All fish must be caught by the angler. Fishing partners may not pool or share their catch. This is grounds for disqualification.
CPR Format Weigh-In:
This is a CPR (catch, picture, release) tournament. The online challenge is being run through the iAngler Tournament management app. During the tournament, the anglers use the mobile app to photograph their catch and record basic information. This can be done while on the water or once back on land. The catch record is immediately transmitted to the web portal for review by the Tournament Director (if there is an active internet connection), if an internet connection (usually cellular) is not available, the catch record is saved for transmission later. All photos must be submitted through the app.
All Scoring is based on length, in inches. At this time the Hawg Trough bump board and the Yak-Gear Fish Stik are the preferred measuring devices. If you would like to use a different measuring board, you need to get it approved by the judges prior to launching on tournament day.
Photo submission rules and guidelines –
All fish that will fit on the approved measuring device must be photographed in the following manner: See image below for proper technique.
● All fish must be lying on the measuring device with their head facing to the left, lip against the wall of the bump board, and with their dorsal fin pointing up or away from the angler. The mouth does not need to be closed.
● A lipping device may be used to keep the fish secure if you take the photo while on the water. But, it must not obstruct the view of the lip or mouth contacting the wall of the bump board. If the lipping device obstructs this view the photo will be disqualified.
● All inch lines and numbers must be clearly visible and legible in the photo. Make sure the lines and numbers on your board are marked clearly and that they can be seen in your photo (highlighted with a black marker)
● The tournament identifier, must be clearly visible in the photo. You are allowed to submit two photos per fish.
● One photo must show the entire fish on the board. It must clearly show a portion of its mouth touching the bump board and also show where its tail lands on the measuring board. The tournament ID must be visible in this photo.
● The second, photo should focus on the tail showing a closeup of the measurement.
● Any photo or photos not following these guidelines will be disqualified, possibly resulting in the disqualification of the fish.
● We encourage you to take more than one photo of each fish in case some pictures turn out poorly or in case we need further photos to verify validity. If you fail to provide photos that clearly meet the above standards or verify the entire length of your catch or if the photo identifier is not in the picture then your fish will be disqualified.
● We ask anglers to practice catch and release but for anglers that plan to keep their fish, they can photograph their fish on shore but must meet the same photo and time requirements as all others.
● NOTE: Any fish that are longer than the Hawg Trough measuring device (over 30″) ARE allowed to be brought back to the weigh-in and measured on the judges extended measuring board. Fish over 30″ are the only fish allowed to be brought back to the judges.
Rules Violations and Cheating:
All rules violations will be investigated fully. Anyone found to be violating the rules will be penalized or disqualified depending on the violation. The Cal-Salt tournament judges panel will review such occurrences and all decisions are final.
Any angler caught cheating, such as submitting the same fish more than once or altering their measuring device in some way, will be disqualified from the current season and, at the discretion of the organizers, will be banned from participating in future events.
In the case of a tie, in any category, the winner will be the angler who weighed in first. All rulings from the judges and/or tournament director are final.
Disclaimer Click to Read
WAIVER, RELEASE OF LIABILITY, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE
In consideration of being allowed to participate in any Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc event including events held by dba’s PRO Kayak Fishing (PKF) and Central Coast Kayaks (CCK) which includes sport fishing activities or related events and activities, the undersigned agrees to the following:
1. I acknowledge and fully understand that I will be engaging in activities that involve risk of damage to personal property, or serious injury, including permanent disability and death, and severe social and economic losses which might result not only from my own actions, inaction’s or negligence, but the actions, inaction’s or negligence of others, as a result of kayaking, fishing, wading in the water and swimming, including but not limited to perils of sea and waterways, acts of other participants, adverse sea and weather conditions, and I hereby assume complete responsibility and liability for such risks. Further, there may be other risks not known or not reasonably foreseeable at this time.
2. I do hereby release, waive, discharge and COVENANT NOT TO SUE Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc., its subsidiaries, directors, agents, employees, sponsors or any other individual in any way associated with Momentum Paddle Sports Inc., all of which are hereinafter referred to as Releasee, from any and all liability to me, my heirs and next of kin for any and all claims, demands, losses or damages on account of injury, including death or damage to property, caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence or any other actions of the Releasees or otherwise.
3. I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others, and assume full responsibility for my participation.
4. I certify that my physical condition and training are adequate to enable me to compete safely in Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. events.
5. I hereby grant full permission to Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. and their subsidiaries and any and all of the sponsors of this event or their representatives to use any photographs, video, or any other records of this event for any purpose whatever.
6. All prizes may be subject to federal and/or state taxes. Momentum Paddle Sports, Inc. assumes no responsibility for a winner’s’ failure to report awarded prizes to the appropriate taxing authorities.
7. This waiver may not be modified in any way. If any part of this waiver is determined to be invalid by law, all other parts of this waiver shall remain valid and enforceable.
8. I hereby warrant and represent that I am over 18 years of age and have signed this WAIVER, RELEASE Of LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE freely and voluntarily.
9. I hereby warrant and represent that I am the parent or legal guardian for the named participant, and that I have signed this WAIVER, RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE freely and voluntarily in my capacity as their parent or legal guardian on the their behalf.
I HAVE READ THE ABOVE WAIVER, RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE AND UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT, AND SIGNED IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY.