Battle of the Bays - Mission Bay
Mario AlvarezCalico (Kelp) Bass
Tom BuckalewSpotted Sand Bass
kyle Moreno (Chang)Calico (Kelp) Bass
Cameron ChangCalico (Kelp) Bass
Derwin ChangBarred Sand Bass
Daniel JonesCalico (Kelp) Bass
Dave BrownSpotted Sand Bass
Need Help? Contact Us
The tournament will follow a "Catch/Photo/Release" (CPR) formats targeting three species of saltwater bass along with a Big Fish cash side pot.
REGISTRATION FEES: $60, $20 to enter the Big Fish Side Pot
PRIZES: $500 first prize and a drawing for a 4 day trip to Cedros Kayak Fishing.
SCORING GUIDELINES: All bass must be a 14 minimum. The three longest bass will score with one point per inch. Any of the three species may be combined for total length.
THE "Big Fish" Side Pot winner is the heaviest fish other than Sharks, Rays, or Bass at each event.
Captain's meeting...Kevin Nakada will also be a guest speaker at the Captain's meeting and he is working on putting together some Captain's swag bags for our meeting.
1 year 7 months ago
Captain's meeting time adjustment
1 year 7 months ago
Captain's meeting speaker...
1 year 7 months ago
Welcome to iAngler Tournament - Adding Your Photo to the Leaderboard
1 year 9 months ago
Events & Schedule
04/29/2017 10:00 AM
Lines in the Water
05/06/2017 07:00 AM
Lines out of the Water
05/06/2017 01:00 PM
Rules and Regulations
Battle of the Bays Tournament Rules
1. Registration and Entry Fee
a. All participants must completely fill out the official registration form available at iAngler.com or at the tournament location (on-site).
b. $60 entry for each venue is available online at iAngler.com until May 3rd, 2017 at midnight PST, after that time, registration will only be available
on-site on the day of the event.
Registration will reopen May 7th online at iAngler.com until, after that time, registration will only be available on- site on the day of the event.
c. Biggest Fish side-pot entry fee is $20.
d. Credit cards and cash will be accepted on-site.
e. Free Tournament Entry to all CCA CAL Lifetime Members.
a. “Shotgun Start” at 7:00am. for each venue.
b. Anglers will participate in either one or both of two separate one-day events at each venue, using a Catch Photo Release (CPR) format.
c. Anglers will submit photos of their best 3 bass each day.
d. Anglers must be using an approved Hawg Trough measuring device.
e. Anglers can use the i-Angler app to speed up and facilitate the judges.
f. The angler with the largest total inches from his three best bass
will win the day’s event. The Bass can be from one species or any combination of the three allowed species; Spotted Sand Bass, Barred Sand Bass, and Calico Bass.
g. All measurements will be made using the Imperial method of measurement (inches).
h. Anglers can compete in either one or both events on May 6th and June 10th. i. There will also be a Biggest Fish Side-Pot at each event. The heaviest legal CDFW approved game fish, except bass, sharks, and rays will be the winner of that day’s side-pot. White Sea Bass are allowed in the side pot.
j. Biggest fish will be weighed at the check-in area at each venue.
k. Angers must be in line with their fish for check-in by 1pm PST.
l. Only one fish may be submitted per angler for the Side Pot weigh-in. m. All anglers must check-out at the end of their day to facilitate the judging of ties. Please see in rule #9 Ties c. and d.
n. If an angler does not check-out before 1pm. their “assigned” check-out time will be 1pm.
Kayak, Float Tube, Canoe, and Stand-Up Paddle Boards are the only permitted watercrafts in this event. Electric motors are allowed.
4. Launch and access:
a. Anglers will launch at Dana Landing and Fast Lane Kayaks in Mission Bay on
May 6th and at the King Harbor Yacht Club in Santa Monica Bay on June 10th. b. Anglers must have a valid California Saltwater Fishing License and honor all CDFW fishing regulations.
c. Any area marked off-limits by the local Harbor Patrol is to be honored. d. Any angler caught launching or fishing in an off-limits area will be disqualified.
a. All fish must be taken with a fishing rod, line and hook on the day of the tournament. IGFA rules apply except for the use of treble hooks.
b. Artificial lures, flies, live and dead bait are allowed.
c. Fish must be hooked in the mouth.
d. The use of umbrella rigs, scents, and Gulp, is permitted.
e. Calico Bass, Barred Sand Bass, and Spotted Sand Bass measuring a minimum of 14 inches in length will count as a CPR entry.
f. Bass must be alive during photograph and released alive.
g. Biggest Fish category will include all legal CDFW species except Rays, Sharks, and Calico Bass, Spotted Sand Bass, and Barred Sand Bass.
a. Anglers will be given a token/card for each day of the tournaments. This token/card is very important to the angler as it must be in the picture of your fish for the fish to count.
b. An angler is responsible for this token/card from the moment it is assigned to them until they check out at the end of the day.
c. No replacement token/cards will be available.
All fish must be photographed on an approved Hawg Trough measuring device. You must use a camera phone or digital camera for the picture.
a. Fish must be lying flat, facing left to right, with mouth closed in a natural resting position centered against the vertical portion of the Hawg Trough. The fish must appear in a natural state. The tail will be measured as it lies.
b. A tournament supplied 1” wide Velcro band can be used to retain the fish on the hawg trough if it is used in a humane way that does not harm the fish.
c. “Angler Assist” shall be allowed when handling large fish. Anglers may summon a nearby competitor for assistance in measuring and photographing the fish, to get a clear measurement and ensure the safety of the fish. The photo must be taken with the angler’s own camera.
d. Photo must be taken on the angler’s vessel with the token/card clearly visible in every picture for it to count.
e. Anglers are responsible for having pictures clear and visible for the judge’s
view. The judges and the tournament director have official say on a fish’s length.
f. Images may not be digitally altered or enhanced in any way.
g. Anglers will have the convenience of using the iAngle App to turn in fish from their smart phone immediately after they catch it and up until 1pm. If an angler does not utilize this app, they must be prepared with an SD card and/or cord to plug the phone or camera in to a computer for submission. Expect to unlock cell phones that are used and to relinquish cell phones or cameras requiring cords for download until judging is completed. Pictures of submitted fish should not be deleted off of the device until the tournament has concluded.
8. CPR Photo Criteria:
a. All criteria must be met or the photo will not be scored.
b. Show the whole fish, tip to tail (aside from your hand, the fish must be clear of any devices. Mouth/fins/tail cannot be obstructed in the photo).
c. Lay the fish with the tip of the mouth at the beginning of the ruler.
d. Measurement markings on the measuring board shall be clearly visible.
e. An angler’s assigned official token/card shall be visible.
f. One overhead photo (taken from directly above, not at an angle).
9. CPR Judging:
a. The judge will round down to the closest .25” from where the tail lies.
b. Judges have full discretion on open mouth and where the tail lies.
c. If there is a questionable photo, judges can ask tournament director to make final ruling.
d. Once 3 fish are judged and submitted, an anglers’ day total is final.
d. Each angler may submit as many fish photos as possible in the allotted time frame.
a. Any ties in total inches will be broken by the single longest fish in each angler’s submissions.
b. In the case that the single longest fish are tied then the second single longest fish will be used and so on.
c. In the case that all three fish are identical length, then the earliest check-out time at the end of the day will break the tie.
d. In the case of the Biggest Fish Side Pot, if two fish are of identical weight then the earliest check-out time at the end of the day will break the tie and win that event.
e. Coin toss or split funds evenly if the tying check-out times are 1pm.
f. Split the funds evenly if there are more than two ties.
a. All anglers are to follow the laws specifically stated by U.S. Coast Guard and the local CDFW as well as the local Harbor Patrol.
b. Each angler must have a valid California saltwater stamped fishing license for the days they will be on the water.
c. All participants must wear their life vest (PFD) through the duration of the competition.
d. All participants must have a VHF radio in possession.
a. Anglers are to use sportsmanship on and off the water.
b. Be respectful of other participants that are launching or fishing in similar areas to you.
c. Anglers are expected to follow all the rules.
d. Anyone caught cheating could receive punishment by law and receive lifetime bans from other CCA kayak fishing events and tournaments.
e. During the hours of competition, contestants shall not obtain or receive assistance, including but not limited to the following: a non-competitor’s boat; the placing of markers by a non-competitor; being towed by a motorized skiff, dingy, or inflatable.
a. Open Mouth on fish; .5” deduction penalty.
b. Unnatural manipulation of the fish aside from pinching the tail; .5” deduction penalty
c. Token and/or card missing in photo; fish will be disqualified.
a. If an angler does not turn in their photos by 1pm PST, their catch that day will be 0.
b. If a Big Fish Side Pot angler with their fish is not in line at the weigh-in by 1pm. their Big Fish submission will be disqualified.
c. Anglers violating the catch rules.
d. Any fish on a stringer or restrained to a Hawg Trough by any means other than the competitors hand or the approved bands. This includes: grips, stringers, hooks, lures, etc.
e. Token and/or card missing in photo; fish will be disqualified.
a. The use of mobile communication devices such as cellular telephones, marine radios, walkie-talkies, CBs, pagers or any electronic device to communicate fishing information during tournament hours is strictly prohibited, except for emergency calls and the use of the i-Angler app.
b. Anglers caught communicating in the ways listed above shall be disqualified for that day.
c. Communication among anglers is allowed on the water only by non-electronic methods.
16. Formal complaints:
a. Any participant wishing to file a formal complaint against a competitor must do so in writing prior to the conclusion of check-in at each event. This complaint must be turned in, in writing; specifically explaining the violation and by whom. It
must be signed and turned into the Tournament Director with a $100 deposit. If the challenge is upheld the $100 will be returned.
b. Any concerns regarding clarification of rules shall be discussed with the Tournament Director BEFORE the start of the session each day.
c. The Tournament Director and the CCA judges will have the final decision on any formal complaints.
17. Payout and Prizes:
a. First Place Winner of the three best bass at each event will receive a $500 gift card
Second Place at each event will receive a $250 gift card.
Third Place at each event will receive a $125 gift card.
Fourth Place at each event will receive a $75 gift card.
There will also be a Biggest Fish Side-Pot including all legal CDFW
game-fish, excluding Bass, Rays and Sharks. White Sea Bass are included in the Side-Pot.
Biggest Fish winner at each event will win the total of the Biggest Fish entry fees for that event minus 20%.
Biggest fish is the heaviest fish weighed.
One Grand Prize Drawing ticket will be issued to each registered angler during check-in at each event.
Anglers at both venues are eligible for the Grand Prize drawing. Only one Grand Prize will be awarded for both events. The Grand Prize winner will be announced at the Santa Monica Bay event.
Grand Prize is a 4 day trip to Cedros Island with Cedros Kayak Fishing. Airfare, Round trip Ground transportation from San Diego to Ensenada, Accommodations, Food and drinks will be provided (excluding alcohol) Fully guided kayak fishing on completely outfitted Hobie Outbacks (with full panga support) is included. Mexican Fishing License not included.
Prizes won or received at the event are final. There is no official trading or switching of items won.
18. Inclement Weather:
In the event of a Small Craft Warning the tournament will be postponed and a new date will be posted at www.ccacalifornia.org, www.battleofthebays.com, and the CCA California facebook page.
19. Rules and Rule Changes:
a. Rules interpretation is exclusively left to the Tournament Director and/or the CCA CAL judges. Decisions of the Tournament Director and CCA CAL judges are final in all matters and are not subject to appeal.
b. If there is a conflict between languages the English text will take precedence. c. Any/all rule changes will be posted for viewing on the event notice board at check-in and on the event website prior to session starting times each day.
d. All rules are subject to change without notice at the discretion of the Tournament Director and/or the CCA CAL judges.
e. ALL rules are applied as interpreted by the Tournament Director and/or by the
CCA CAL judges, and the Director’s decision is final.
f. The Tournament Director and/or the CCA CAL judges have the right to modify, change or move the arena location.
“Battle of the Bays”
Hosted by CCA California | May 6, 2017
Registration Form and Waiver and Release of Liability,
Covenant Not to Sue and Indemnity Agreement for Adults (Age 18 or older)
By registering in this tournament, the Participant agrees to the following:
For and in consideration of Battle of the Bays tournament and CCA California allowing me, the undersigned participant, to participate in the BoB fishing tournament and related events (the “Event” or “Events” includes pre-tournament registration and activities at Dana Landing and Fast Lane Sailing Center on May 6, 2017, and all fishing tournament-related activities on May 6, 2017), I, for myself, and on behalf of my spouse, children, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, hereby agree to and make the following contractual representations pursuant to this Waiver and Release of Liability, Covenant Not to Sue and Indemnity Agreement (the“ Agreement”);
1. I represent that: (i) I am at least eighteen (18) years of age or older; (ii) I am in good health and in proper physical condition to participate in the Events; and (iii) I will not be under the influence of alcohol or any illicit or prescription drugs which would impair my ability to safely participate in the Events. I agree it is my sole responsibility to determine whether I am sufficiently fit and healthy enough to participate in the Events and that I am responsible for my safety and well-being at all times and under all circumstances while at the Events.
2. I understand and acknowledge the risks and dangers associated with participation in the sports of water kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, canoeing, fishing, wading in native saltwater and swimming, and related water sport disciplines, including without limitation, the potential for serious bodily injury, sickness and disease, permanent disability, paralysis and loss of life; loss of or damage to equipment/property; exposure to extreme conditions, and circumstances; bacterial infections; contact with other participants, spectators, boats, fish or other natural or man-made objects; dangers arising from adverse sea and weather conditions; imperfect water conditions in the fishing tournament area; water and surface hazards; equipment failure; inadequate safety measures; participants of varying skill levels; situations beyond the immediate control of BoB and the Event organizers and sponsors; and, other undefined, not readily foreseeable and presently unknown risks and dangers (“Risks”). These Risks may be caused in whole or in part by my actions or inactions, the actions or inactions of others participating in the Events, or the negligent acts or omissions of the Released Parties defined below, and I hereby expressly assume all such Risks and responsibility for any damages, liabilities, losses or expenses which I incur as a result of my participation in any Event. My participation in the Events is purely voluntary, and I choose to participate in spite of the Risks. I certify I have adequate insurance to cover any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear costs of such injury or damage myself.
3. I agree to wear a U.S. Coast Guard Approved PFD (personal flotation device) at all times while fishing in the BoB tournament. I agree to be familiar with and to abide by the Rules and Regulations established for the Events, and any safety regulations established for the benefit of all participants. I accept sole responsibility for my conduct and actions while participating in the Events, and the condition and adequacy of my equipment. I understand that BoB and the Event Organizers and Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify anyone or deny participation in the Events for any reason they deem just and proper in their sole discretion.
4. I release, waive and covenant not to sue, and agree to Indemnify, defend and hold harmless the following parties: Battle of the Bays and its parents or subsidiaries, CCA California and CCA National and its parents or subsidiaries, the event organizers, promoters, sponsors, advertisers and officials; venue and property owners or operators upon which the Events take place, including Dana Landing and Fast Lane Sailing Center ; boat owners and operators associated with the Events and providing support for the Events; law enforcement agencies and other public entities providing support for the Events; and each of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, partners, shareholders, members, agents, employees and volunteers (individually and collectively, the “Released Parties” or “Event Organizers”), regarding any liability, claim(s), demand(s), cause(s) of action, damage(s), loss or expense (including court costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees) of any kind or nature (“Liability”) which may arise out of, result from, or relate to my participation in the Events, including claims for Liability caused in whole or in part by the negligent acts or omissions of the Released Parties, including negligent rescue operations. I further agree that if, despite this Agreement, I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim for Liability against the Released Parties, I will indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any such Liabilities, including attorney’s fees and costs, which may be incurred as the result of such claim.
By signing below, I warrant I am of legal age and competent to enter into this Agreement, that I have read this Agreement carefully, understand its terms and conditions, acknowledge that I will be giving up substantial legal rights by signing it (including the rights of my spouse, children, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors, and assigns), acknowledge I have signed this Agreement with no inducement, assurance or guarantee, and intend for my signature to confirm my complete and unconditional acceptance of the terms, conditions and provisions of this Agreement. This Agreement represents the complete understanding between the parties regarding these issues and no oral representations, statements or inducements have been made apart from this Agreement. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unlawful, void, or unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this Agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions. Proper venue for any legal action is exclusively agreed to be the Judicial District Court, San Diego CA.
This agreement contains defense and indemnity language that has specific legal ramifications. By signing this agreement you specifically acknowledge and fully understand the defense, indemnity and covenant not to sue language contained herein. If you have nay questions about these terms we encourage you to consult with an attorney
I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document. I have read and understood this document, and I agree to be bound by its terms.
Permission to Use Photograph
I grant to CCA CAL its representatives and employees the right to take photographs of me, and my property in connection with the above- identified subject. I authorize CCA CAL its assigns and transferees to copyright, use and publish the same in print and/or electronically.
I agree that CCA CAL may use such photographs of me with or without my name and for any lawful purpose, including for example such purposes as publicity, illustration, advertising, and Web content.
I have read and understand the above.